View Single Post
Old 10-24-2004, 06:01 AM

Default My Answer, A Few Thoughts and Another Whopper

Before the recent explosion in popularity, mostly experienced players played no limit and pot limit poker, and part of that experience was some sense of how to protect oneself against angles.

Although the standard rule (in this case copied from Bob Ciaffone’s online book) is “A wager is not binding until the chips are actually released into the pot, unless the player has made a verbal statement of action.” I’m fairly sure Bob would agree that in this case strict adherence to this rule would be unfair.

Player B already had a clear answer regarding how much was bet when Player A cut his stack into four equal piles of five. If he was still not sure and honorable, he could have announced that he wanted to check the stack and wasn’t yet calling. Obviously he wanted a read and was taking advantage of perhaps some weakness in the rules, which just weren’t designed for the explosion in big bet poker.

I’d rule it a call but realize that many floor would feel they are put in a tough spot and would do otherwise.

IMO the big bet poker rules need to be cleaned up in spots to reflect modern realities (and my guess is that Bob Ciaffone would agree).

Here is a variant of the above problem: Player A (known angle shooter but great action) is first to act on the river and has about $700, with about $400 on the table and $300 in three stacks of twenty $5 chips in a chip rack. He takes the rack and slowly slides the rack well forward towards the pot. Before he releases his hold on the rack, Player B clearly says, “call”. Now Player A (who was apparently bluffing) tries to pull his rack back, and screams at the dealer and table that he hadn’t released his bet.

You are the floor and are called to the table. How do you rule?

~ Rick