View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: 2+2 article is all wrong? Deception in NL hold em.

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of very poor beginning players overvalue deception and trickery and have a great intuitive understanding of the entire "weak is strong" mentality. Straightforward play against these people is extremely profitable because they will always overthink the hand and make the wrong play.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't typically play very high...usually NL $100 or $200. I can't tell you how much it changed my winrate when I learned that. Whenever I have a monster hand, I bet. Slow playing has all but gone by the wayside. I can't tell you how many friends have been watching me and said "Why are you betting that flop?! You have the nuts!". Most of the lower level NL players I've played against will slow play EVERYTHING into oblivion and wonder why they rarely get paid off. Once it becomes obvious that they're beat, they just can't get rid of it. Conversely, the majority of players I encounter anywhere from $50 NL to $200 NL do play strong when they're weak and weak when they're strong. Typically, watching only a few orbits will give me an idea who is who.