View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 05:55 AM

Default Re: $20/$40 high: two reasonably large pots without showdown

Okay, don't be too horrible with how wrong I am...

With hand 1, I think that completing is fine. The cards behind you are dead, even more so than your opponents know. However, I think when you get called here, you have to wonder what he is calling with. I know you said the game is aggressive, but he has only invested his ante thus far, and chose to call a whole bet for some reason.

On 4th, you betting out is kind of 50/50 to portraying that you were not stealing but trying to play a hand. I do not think him raising you here means a whole lot. It is a cheap street and he could be looking for cheap information. I can understand your motivations for reraising here, as it leaves you in charge of the hand. It allows you to lead 5th with more integration to your line.

You catch the big card and bet out. His raise on 5th worries me a bit more. He knows two diamonds are dead, but maybe he picked up the flush draw. If he picked up the straight draw, then he is very lucky given how dead it looked on 3rd. However, it could be a free card play or semi-bluff if he did pick up either draw and decide to run with it.

I do not know, I think he was racing you to something-up. He calls sixth because he has picked up the four flush and/or possibly to try to hit trips if he has a live, buried pair. He did not realise that you did not have the "something" in the first place.

I think your play portrays a premium hand pretty well. I also think you are lucky that he decided not to check up on the river as he missed.

I would not say you are nuts, just that I do not think I could play this aggressively to portray a holding. Provided he has not got As or Ks in the hole, and I was right about his holding - you might have won if you hit a live A or K. So, I guess you could consider some of the bets semi-bluffs. I just do not like going for this with one T and *three* Qs down on 3rd. The open 8s saved the day.

With hand 2, I think I would fold to the double raise. There's a bunch of your straightening cards dead, a bunch of your two-flush cards dead. You don't have many ways to improve to beat what looks like at least one, if not two big hands. I do not think I could play here...

Given that I did, I think I like calling 4th given you now have a lively K and you have not seen any 8s or 7s die.

5th is a nice catch, I think the 8s like you. From there on out I am fine with the hand. I do not think I could play the rest of the hand this well, let alone better. I do not know if you might have got more bets with calling 6th and raising 7th, but that's neither here nor there - I guess.