View Single Post
Old 07-20-2005, 03:46 AM

Default Re: 10% of poker players are winners???

[ QUOTE ]
False. It's actually less than 10%, according to "Jackpot" Jay Lovinger

[ QUOTE ]
Since there are very few, if any, reliable studies available that demonstrate the percentage of winners -- and big winners -- from among the tens of millions who play the game, you are probably wondering how I "know" this. Well, as it turns out, there is one group that can -- and does -- track this kind of stat, though they are not about to publicize the results. That group consists of online poker site management, two members of which revealed to me at the WSOP that what intuition suggests must be true -- only 8 and 7 percent, respectively, of all players on their sites finish the year in the black. And I'm not talking about deep in the black, either. The vast majority of those winners are not about to give up their day jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think their sample size is quite sufficient too [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine a site where the max you ever could deposit was $1 and the site actually gave it to you for free.

Imagine that the blinds were $1 000 000 - $2 000 000 and you could not cash out before you got $2 000 000.
Imagine that you could buy in to the game for $1.

Your all time winners on the site would be much less than 1%.

Now, Imagine that you are a average poker player in skill, now that means that you would break even except for the rake.

However if you did some game selection and only played players who were worse than yourself you would probably end up a winner putting you in the top 10% or so of players who actually win money playing.

ToT