View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 12:07 PM

Default I need advice on XP licensing

I'll start by saying that I have no intention of pirating MS software.

I'm trying to configure a back up system because I'm concerned that if my computer or my wife's computer goes down with a H/W failure or whatever we are going to be screwed. We both use our systems a ton and rely on them for virtually everything you can imagine.

A few of the things we need and use are banking, bill-pay, ebay, corporate taxes, three home businesses and important shopping (like groceries) and other stuff. I make my living using my systems for programming and systems projects and she pretty much does too ... though to a lesser extent.

Bottom line is this: if the backup system is in use, one or possibly two or three other systems are dead.

So I have acquired an old PII 450Mhz to be a backup for us in case one of our primary systems goes down. Unfortunately the backup system is using Win2000 and I need to get it up to XP for a few different reasons.

Can I install my XP that was delivered and is currently running on a primary system without getting myself in trouble via automatic update or some other MS spyware?

Thank you for any ideas on this!