View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: UB \"cashmas\": Where\'s the money?

[ QUOTE ]
In my view it is a serious matter to advertise that you are adding money to a tournament and then not do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% that integrity is a serious matter and I'm not here to defend UB. However I've watched this added money this time around, just as they did it in the past.

It is not true "added" money in the way you are defining it. I believe what they are doing is increasing the purse of daily tournaments that are typically smaller money.

In other words, Tournament "A" is a daily tournament that typically has a minimum guaranteed payout of $3500. If this tournament is selected as one of the special tournaments to get extra money, then what UB does is increase the minimum payout number to $5000.

So for example, if in this case there are 100 entries @$40, then the payout will still be $5000, not $5K + $1.5K.

I would agree with you that it is a bit misleading. What does happen sometimes is there is a little bit extra tournament equity if the field doesn't exceed the minimum.

But from my observations, much of the time, the field exceeeds the minimum anyway.

Bottom line, IMHO, is that it is a marketing gimmick to increase play during times when people are going to have some extra spare time. It is up to the individual to judge is this is unethical, misleading marketing, or something else. I personally don't see anything wrong with it, as I have gotten into some tournies with extra equity than might normally be there. Just take it for what it is.