View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Re: How did you choose your career (semi-long)

Currently I am an IT Manager for a Hedge Fund in NYC , but i started as just a screw driver jockey , and I still love that part of the job.

My Career found me. When I was younger (7 or 8) I got exposed to a Computer. I was hooked ever since... Started by taking apart my Atari and went from there when I finally got a modem for my Mac Plus I almost had heart failure.

I can honestly say I love my job I wouldnt want to do anything else. However I know its not for everyone I also hate people who do it just cause they "think" they can or because its a "job". I can fix cars but I am no mechanic yanno?
I had a friend who was a programmer , wrote programs for Grumman, Reuters etc but hated it he only did it cause someone told him to cause he could. Being smart doesnt mean you should be a rocket scientest. He did it for 6 years got a Master Degree in Comp Sci and you know what he does now, hes a car mechanic, because he loves it and it's what he's always wanted to do.

With all that in mind, if you have a knack and a love for something then do it. It could be Poker (yea I know) or that bar reasturant your thinking about. Maybe go to culinary school for reasurant mgmt? But I'll just add I never graduated college, I didn't need it knew what I wanted to do all my life college was just wasting my time