View Single Post
Old 09-16-2005, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Another \"simple\" economics question

Being of a mindset that the more we produce and consume, the better, and actually doing it.

The main drivers of today's economy are the baby boomers. These people grew up in the aftermath of a major war and so they are well conditioned to building and creating stuff and enjoying the creations.

The next couple of generations OTOH grew up (and are growing up) getting everything spoonfed to them and are being told that building and creating stuff is good. But without first-hand experience from the war aftermath they are asking questions like "is that really the most important"? Many are figuring out ways to get by without working so hard, even if it means consuming less.

This generational mindset change is the biggest threat to the economy IMO. Once the baby boomers retire (next 10-15 years), the major contributing force will become a major depleting force (drawing all those social security pensions which are pay-as-you-go funded), and the ones left holding the bag will be of a less motivated mindset.

Add to all that the huge levels of debt and unbacked paper currency and we're in for big, big trouble in about 10-15 years' time.

I can't prove it of course but this is the scenario I'm running with. Best way to prepare: buy precious metals at a level of at least 10% of net worth. When gold hits $1000 an ounce, don't say I didn't warn you!