View Single Post
Old 12-03-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Why Current Online Win Rates Won\'t Persist

[ QUOTE ]

Again, people seem to think that becoming a winning player like joining the army.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought sshe, read it and deposited 600 bucks into two poker sites. I have never redopisited money and quit my job 1 month after. Before I did this I was very confident this would be the case. After a few months of playing I talked to two friends of mine that I thought would be interested in playing pro. Neither had ever played cards before(one was a professional chess player at one point in his life). One of the friends has had the same experience i did, and the other I am backing at the end of december in complete confidence that my money will be safe. IMO IQ and good analytical skills are very big factors in winning at online poker. Starting at low stakes, it is definately enough to keep you afloat until you develop the better understanding to move up(coupled with good guidance). I'm sure there are a handfull of people here at the forums that started as break even or slightly winning players before quickly becoming consistent winners.

[ QUOTE ]
Let me tell you how many of the people that play poker think they are +EV. 99%. Only 1% tell the truth to themself. Even the largest dumb ass in the world thinks he is smart. In fact every person I know thinks they are smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is largely an american additude. This ego is non existent in other places. People from developing nations are very practical and realistic. I have already mentioned this. It's just another reason why there will be more fish to sharks from countries like america. I talk about this because I am a second generation american and most of my family are from Mexico and south america. People from these place simply do not have these attitudes.

[ QUOTE ]
That being said, even being top 1% IQ is far from a lock that you are gonna be a winner. There are tons of factors here, intelligence is just one of many. IMO steam control and dicipline are just as important. And there are 10 or so other factors that need to be added in. There is no possible way of knowing if you are going to be a winner before you start playing and prove you are a winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, but I would be much more willing to back someone with a 140 IQ then your average joe. and I think top 1 percent is like 160 and up. I would back these guys no question.