View Single Post
Old 08-18-2004, 12:04 PM

Default Re: best site for sng\'s

I agree that if you are really just starting out playing poker, you should find a site that offers small buy-ins with a small fee. Poker Stars and Ultimate Bet (as well and a few others, I believe) offer $5+.50 SNGs, which obviously a better value than Party's $5+1.

However, if you have some experience, then I think Party is clearly the place to make more money. If playing Party, I would start at the $10+1 level (all sites pretty much have the same fees once you get to $10 buy-ins and higher). The play in these things is absolutely atrocious, and a good patient player who knows how to change speeds near the bubble can absolutely crush these games. The $10+1 (and other lower limit games) will not be as easy to beat as the games at Party and when you do cash, it will have taken you 20-40% longer to do it.

Therefore, if $/hr is your concern, I believe it's more than worth your time and effort to get familiar with the Party structure and players and play as many tables simultaneously as you feel comfortable with (CAUTION - multitabling is not for everyone and almost no one plays as well multi-ing as they do when focusing on one game at a time; I learned this the hard way when I first started out). Another benefit of Party is that it will never take longer than 30 seconds or so to get a SNG under way because of the huge number of players they have online around the clock. Stars can be a little slow getting games going every now and then, and there are times when starting a game at UB is near impossible.

If you're looking at SNGs as more of training ground for satellites and/or larger tourneys, I would recommend the games at PokerStars (both single and 2 or 3-table SNGs) because you will be practicing against tougher competition in a more reasonably paced structure.

I think Ultimate Bet is kind of in the middle in both the diffculty of the games and the blind structure, but as I said, the number of players is lower than the other two sites.

Best of luck with your first venture into the online rooms! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]