Thread: Poker Heresy
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Poker Heresy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In TOP David has a nice chapter on slowplay/deception. He illustrates that never mixing your play is a large tell for your opponents, but that slowplaying strong hands preflop can often result in huge pots where several of your opponents are making big mistakes.

Tell me I'm insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say insane, but you need to keep things in context and perspective.

When Sklansky talks about slowplaying, he sets very specific and strict criteria for situation when you are considering doing so.

Slow-playing a big hand like AA, KK or QQ against 4 or 5 limpers in a low limit game does not typically meet the criteria IMHO.

Never mixing your play should only come into play if opponents are reacting to certain aspects of your play. For example, if everyone has folded 3 times in a row when you raise UTG, then maybe you vary your play by raising with more hands from there (e.g., JTs, etc.). But I would almost never stop raising with AA and KK from there under the conditions you describe. It just gives up too much from a good hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what the author is saying is raising preflop with the big 4 or 5 top hands, but stop raising with crap like a9, small pairs etc. Much more passive preflop play so that when he hits is tp hands on the 6 max games, the useual assortment of lunatics pay him of as they will die with bottom pairs / ace high in these games. If I am correct, you are giving up preflop steal equity, for outplaying them postflop with hands they will not put you on.