View Single Post
Old 03-14-2004, 11:23 PM

Default Re: What do you do with this draw?

Well I know what I'd do, since I played the hand. I'd bet about 3/4 of the pot.

I really like this size bet, because I feel it covers the entire sectrum.

First of all, checking my hand is out of the question as far as I'm concerned. I want to give myself a chance to win it right there. Why should I want to draw, if there's some chance I won't have to? So if he has something like an under pair such as 77, 88, or A8s, etc., this bet should be sufficient to cause him to fold the best hand.

But what if he does have some kind of a hand? Well, now it depends on how good he feels about it. If he's not that comfortable (remember he just got a reasonable bet thrown at him after he showed strength), he might just call and check the turn (if I check it to him). I certainly don't mind a free card when I'm behind. Don't forget that if he checks it back, I still retain the option of bluffing the river depending on what I felt he had.

On the other hand, if he has a monster, he might make the mistake of trying to trap me by slow-playing. Or, he simply goes all-in, which I would quickly call, since I have him covered by a lot at this stage in the tourny.

My point is, that by not putting him all-in right away as you (Soh) suggest, I allow him more opportunities to make a mistake. I don't WANT it to cost me the maximum if I don't have to. Yet, I DO very much want him to fold some of his hands that would have me beat. I think the size bet I made accomplishes exactly that. IMO-