View Single Post
Old 07-23-2003, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Liberalism - How Far Has it Strayed From Original Concept?

This is from the website Tom posted a link to:

“10. A belief in the existence of a transcendental order of truth which is accessible to man’s natural reason and capable of evoking a moral response. It is an order requiring both individual thought and will for its realization, i.e., it is a potential ordre requiring individual thought and will for its translation into actuality. Through his autonomous reason and in the light of his conscience the individual avoids anarchy by translating the principles of this natural order into practice. The choice between order and anarchy revolves upon the individual and more particularly, upon individual conscience. Thus conscience is the keystone of the liberal doctrine.”

‘Transcendental order of truth’? This statement has all the airs of theology. If I didn’t know better I would say this is straight out of a Jesuit college primer on morality and ethics and a lead in to why everyone should believe in God. What is this misty transcendental order of truth anyway? Do the authorities bottle it up in little pills and dispensed it to the citizenry? Is it put into children’s lunch at public schools? Is it something simpler, like the pleasant buzz after a large meal accoumplied by three martinis?

“Man’s natural reason”. I think Thomas Aquinas said man’s natural reason would lead him to God. Theology again! Man is a political animal – not a rational animal. Natural reason is a misnomer.

Much of this #10 is nonsensical, in my opinion. Some is interesting, if not sensible. It has the feel of metaphysics, theology and politics all mixed together in one volatile cocktail - A rather dangerous and explosive mélange. The last sentence is very provocative and has broad implications.

I now believe that I am a liberal. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Thank God for that. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

-Zeno