View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Commerce 10/20 - Bad Call with Bottom Set?

Two Things.

First to answer your question, strictly speaking yes these are two bad calls. The obvious scenario is that he is drawing to 10 outs w/ no chance of getting paid if he hits, and he cold calls a substantial raise. Given the information that you assume (about your image and about his skill), it should be a very easy fold.

However, if you play so that this is an easy fold for your opponent, maybe you should change the way you play. In other words: you don't want this to be an easy fold. You want there to be the doubt in your opponent's head, you want him to always think that you could be getting out of line, that you could be taking advantage of his "rockishness." No one likes to fold a set, especially not live where everything moves so slowly and you may not flop one all night, so you want to take advantage of that reluctance by constantly instilling the idea in your opponent that you are messing with him.

Obviously I have no idea if you do that or not, and it seems like this hand worked out perfectly. But I think the question you asked is wrongheaded. You want your opponent to think "I have a set. He could easily have J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], or A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], or 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Auto Call."

Btw why the hell did you run it twice?