View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Tipping in higher limit games

[ QUOTE ]
It's just interesting to me that in tournaments it's taken for granted that the person is tipping based on their win, but in ring games, "Dealers don't deserve more money for pushing chips of a different color," is apparently accepted as conventional wisdom among high-limit players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play for fun, so maybe my philosophy is different. I take this analogy: when tipping a waitress - you usually tip 15-20%. If the meal is more expensive you tip more. If she sucks, you may stiff her a little on the tip, say, 10%, and if she's good, you'll give her a little more. But the constant in all this is that the percentage is in relation to how much your bill came out to. It's not like she's carrying heavier plates or anything for more expensive dishes - it's all the same whether it's a burger or kobe beef.

I do tip more if I win a bigger pot. For a 1200 pot in a 1/2NL game, i'd probably tip 15, b/c that's a HUGE pot for 1/2 (600BB), maybe more depending on my mood, how much of the pot was my money, and how good the dealer is. If it's a $5 pot, I don't tip anything. Tipping $1 for a 600BB pot i think is being a bit on the cheap side.