View Single Post
Old 07-07-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Am I insane? (89s in huge pot)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think some people get too caught up with the bottom line. There is a tendency to look down on players who have any motivation other than proifit.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's an unstated assumption on these forums that the advice given on hands are for the most +EV play. For those people who want to play for relaxation/fun, this forum isn't for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play for money and for fun. Winning is fun and losing is not, so money and fun go hand in hand. that being said, there are times that I might make a slightly -ev play just for fun. For example, suppose I have had a dead run of cards for an hour, and I don't have time to play anymore. I'm out when the next blind rolls around. I get J8s UTG. I might play it, simply because it is the last hand of the night. Yeah, I might be losing 5 cents of ev, but I'll go to bed happier because I finally got to play a hand. Or I could make more money playing 4 tables at a time instead of 2. I tried that, but I couldn't follow the action as well, and didn't enjoy it as much, so I went back to 2 tabling. EV is very important, but there are other considerations. Anyone who denies that should take their blinders off.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to be missing the point completely.

There's nothing wrong with playing those hands for fun. But if you post that hand, expect a few hundred "Fold PF"s. We're not denying the fun factor of the game, but the posts here are not to share about how much fun the game of poker can be. Posts here are to help learn to analyze poker mistakes so that fewer of them are made. There's an obvious mistake being made (posting UTG+1) and it should be pointed out.

We're not looking down at the player who is posting UTG+1, but we're looking down at the value of that particular decision.