View Single Post
Old 05-23-2005, 11:59 PM

Default Re: How Long can you hold your breath?

I was on the swim team in high school so one season I decided to try synchronized swimming during the off season for conditioning. During practice we used to have to do "under-overs" which means you swim underwater one length of the pool (25yards) then swim freestyle back. Underwater you couldn't come up for air and if you did then you had to redo it, then freestyle back you can breathe as often as you wanted. By midseason we had to do like 20 of them just for warmup. I could do them by the end of the season, but in the beginning I had a very difficult time because when I was underwater I would freak out and couldn't hold my breath very long (I think subconsciously I was afraid I would get too deep and not be able to come up for air in time) I definetly noticed a difference after a couple weeks of doing these, when working out I didn't get as winded and it's proven that blood pressure decreases if you do daily sets of breathing exercises (3 seconds inhale and 6 seconds exhale or something like that)

As for how long I can hold my breath...It's too pitiful to admit, apparently I haven't been doing my under-overs [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]