View Single Post
Old 04-15-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Another SSH vs HPFAP Question

I am confused as to a difference between Sklansky's opening hand recommendations in HPFAP and Millers in SSH.

Sklansky states that in EARLY position, suited connectors go up in value. P25: "If the game is passive, you prefer the suited connector to the pair". He is refering to small pairs and suited connectors like 87. He indicates that group 5 hands can be played in these loose passive games and that goes down to 56 suited.

In SSH, Ed Miller's 'Loose Games' chart recommends playing any suited pair but stops at 98 suited.

I believe I understand the rationale behind each...yet wonder why they differ. I was thinking that it might be a simple matter of approach to the game and that may indeed be the case; but clearly when Sklansky says you 'prefer' the mid-suited connectors over the small pairs, I have to wonder just why that is the case and why Ed, in similar games, prefers the small pairs over the mid-suited connectors.

I understand that the level of agression is a factor in playing small pairs - passive is fine but you prefer a little action for when you flop your set as others are a bit tied to the pot with likely weaker prospects.

I also understand that medium suited connectors prefer a more passive table as you will flop many fairly weak draws.

Still, you have to go to group 7 before you get the small pairs that Miller recommends and would appear to be unrecommended hands according to Sklansky for he never mentions them --be the game totally passive or even slightly agressive. Smiliarly, Miller does not seem to recommend anything below 98 suited in even passive games.

Just seems like a contradiction that I was wondering if anyone cared to address.

Thanks,
Leavenfish