Thread: Caro Article
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Caro Article

Hi Mason,

As someone who has read virtually everything written by both Caro and 2+2 authors over the years, I really don't see how Caro can be referring to anyone other than you and David. When you reference Dr. Al's excellent book though, I believe that you are talking about psychology in a different manner than Caro. Dr. Al's book talks about differing psychological types of poker players and the mistakes that they make and how a TAG can exploit them if they are in fact making mistakes. However Caro is talking about psychologically manipulating opponents both in the game as a whole and during a particular hand. In fact in one of his essays he called psychology the field where money grows wild.

My own view is that full-handed limit poker is more about math, but that short-handed limit and big bet poker when confronting good players is mostly about psychology. Of course I mainly only play online now, but Caro has also talked a lot about how what you say on a live table can add to your earnings if done correctly in eliciting desired folds or calls.

So overall I would say his statement was too broad in not delineating which types of games and structures can be best exploited via mathematically correct moves or psychological ones.