View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Making adjustments

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, if you are increasing your stealing, how far do you go with it? Obviously it is player dependant but, are you basically raising every time you are first into a pot? Raising when first in from at least MP? What are your general rules for increasing the amount of stealing?

PS: Obviously you can always run and hide but, I would rather learn how to beat the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I tend to open-raise in tighter games. I might occasionally limp to mix things up in EP w/ AA/KK intending to reraise. But my EP standards obviously tighten up so I don't do that sort of thing often as it's not optimal strategy to do a regular basis. It's just usually not worth playing A4s, KTs, etc. UTG if there's a great chance that opponents will raise with big cards behind you. Obviously, you want to open-raise in LP with these types of hands to take the blinds.

Being selectively aggressive is the key. Some players will just call you down thinking you're full of [censored], others back down if you have position on them. You've got to realize that there are many favorable boards that helped neither you nor your opponents. If people show no interest, that pot is just waiting for you to take it (assuming no one is on a draw). You have to study what your opponents limits are.

It should be noted that there's a specific type of tight player that you shouldn't bother bluffing into all the way. This is the type of player that has waited so long to play a hand that he'll never throw it away. The only situation he'll throw his hand away is on the river UI. This player is essentially a tight calling station and definitely someone worthy of having in your game.

For some reason, and unbeknownst to me, I was really interested it the bluffing aspect of the game. When I first started playing, I focused on things that interested me the most. I'd experiment with odd BB plays that I still use occasionally.

I've just started to play 6-max, and full ring is a real drag to play for me now. Playing a weak-tight table, while interesting in June, is boring and not very profitable. Yeah, you can beat those tables. It's definitely worth learning since the tables become less loose and more tight as you move up in limits. It's especially important to learn if you ever find yourself at a table w/ retired people in Reno. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

CrayZee

P.S.: I know you want to beat these weak-tight games, but it's more worthwhile to find looser games. Once you got the hang of it, move on. You've got to ask yourself whether or not you are just learning something new or simply satisfying your ego.