View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 02:17 AM

Default Making adjustments

For about the last 9 months, I have been playing about 12,000 hands/month. Until about 3 months ago, I was about 2.9/100 at .5/1. I made a few excursions into 1/2 and 2/4 and seemed to find the same trend. My VPIP dips a few percent but all other numbers look fine except bb/100. bb/100 drops between even and slightly negative. I pretty much figured that a lot of the problem has been in table selection. I found myself sitting at a lot of 18/8 tables instead of 25/4. At these tables, I seem to win lots of small pots and lose the larger pots. This made me decide to go back to my comfort zone and bonus whore for a while to regain confidence. Well, now that Party has split off the skins (and playing Crypto and Prima), I'm finding myself at the same 18/8 tables full of rocks and TAGs even at .5/1. That has lead me to thinking about learning to beat these games instead of avoiding them.

What types of adjustments do you need to make to be successful at these 18/8 tables? Do you raise more preflop hoping to just take down blinds? Do you play a lot less hands preflop (My tendency is to want to be too tight so I really don't want to go down this road)? Do you adjust the types of hands that you are willing to raise with for example, raise more with pairs and less with hands like k10s? If you decide to raise more preflop, how do you handle callers when you miss the flop completely?