View Single Post
Old 07-15-2003, 03:48 PM

Default New 2 O/8 Weak tight?kinda long.

I've only been playing Omaha for about 3 mo so and I have made some observations in game as well as reading the posts on here and have some questions. I am a long time HE player and play very tight/aggressive poker in all games(HE/Stud/Lowball).

It seems to me that a lot of people play a conservative style of play and wait until they have the nuts or close to it then bang the pot. This goes against my nature of getting my chips in the pot when I have the best of it and charging people the max to draw out on me. I see a lot of people check/call with trips even when there doesn't appear to be a str8 or flush out there and even on the river they will check call. Is this sound strategy? If I hit my top set on the flop, even if there is flush and str8 draws out there I will ram and jam it because I feel like I have the best hand at that moment especially if I have redraws. I will bet and checkraise with top 2 as long as I have draws to low and high, etc. I have seen most people only check call with these type of hands. It seems everyone is afraid of being drawn out on.

In a nutshell I guess I am asking for opinions on what I guess would be considered weak/tight in other games is a better approach to Omaha. I am not calling anyone weak/tight who plays this way(it would be considered that in a HE game), sorry if I offended, I was just wondering if this approach is better than being aggressive on all streets.

An example would be that with a flop of 993 and 3 players I chose to check raise my AA35. 2 players both said "he's got trips" and folded and the last player followed to the river on busted low draw. Was this too aggressive? I will also raise in early postition with hands like AKKQ,AKQJ, etc. because most people so far have assumed I am raising only with ABC and will fold mediocre low hands and high hands.

Like I have said I am brand new to the game and so far this strategy has worked well and I have been completly crushing the games I play in(4/8 cali games). I don't have near enough data to show if I am a winning player so I want to get some opinions before I get too cocky and fall back to earth [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . thanks in advance and once again I am not calling anyone who plays this way weak tight I just didn't know how else to describe it. I guess it is against my nature to check/call until I am sure I have the nuts then get aggessive.