View Single Post
Old 12-27-2002, 06:23 PM

Default Re: AsJs flush draw stay in or drop out?

I think you have a clear pre-flop raise. I agree AJs enjoys just about any size group, I would be doing more to protect the AJ portion of my hand and less to draw in bets for the suited portion. If you had raised, the over-card outs might be good, at this point I think they are worthless.

I agree with your flop check with the pre-flop raiser immediately acting after you, but you should do this with the intention of check—raising. With a group this big you want to build the pot up. The hitch is, if you think the raiser will three bet, and you think this will drive the remaining players out of the pot, a check-call is probably in order. Obviously, this is not a problem in this hand.

With three other people in the pot you should raise, if you don’t think you will lose anyone. Discounting two of your hearts, you are still 2.6:1 to hit the nut flush by the end. I am discounting these cards because they pair the board, which in my opinion kills your hand.

I suspect there is a set and two-pair out there, which makes your hand even more appealing. Assuming that a paired board kills your hand, it’s nice to have some of these cards tied up (but of course you would much rather everyone have no full-house chances). Who knows what the last guy has, maybe a straight draw, or a smaller flush. Sure, there is probably someone ahead of you who is drawing to a better hand with more outs, but there are likely two people drawing dead, and you have more than enough equity on every chip that goes into that pot.

If you don’t get your heart on the turn, I would go into check-call mode. If the board pairs on the turn, things get hairy. I would put down a side bet that you were drawing dead, but it’s a damn big pot at this point…Hopefully it wont cost 8 big bets to see it to the end.

How rare is this type of flop action in this game. I may be giving your opponents too much respect and I am rather curious. Would you mind posting the results, or at least the turn/river cards and who showed down what?

Huh?

BTW – So what made this such a special $5-$10 game? Don’t really care that this is in mid-high, but in general I find the advice on both small and medium stakes boards to be equally sound. I’ve played the Taj $5-$10 pretty regularly and don’t think very highly of the players. They don’t seem tricky, just confusing. I’ve never seen so many people open-limp on the button [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]