View Single Post
Old 06-08-2005, 02:40 AM

Default Absolute is buying my computer

In a previous thread I detailed how Absolute contacted me (pretty much out of the blue) and wanted to pay me a small fee for my time in efforts to help them figure out why AP pretty much won't work on my computer.
It's a problem that a few others have had...but that most obviously do not have.

I later reported that I talked with their tech guy who was very nice and professional and we tried out a couple of things...I told him what kind of CPU readings and other such stuff I was getting on my computer, etc etc.
They thanked me for my time.

Here's the update:
They were trying to re-create the situation where I get insanely high CPU readings just by opening one table there. It seems to be some sort of issue with memory and I know a few others have had it.

But I guess they are having a difficult time re-creating the problem on their test-computers.

So on Friday they contacted me again and offered to BUY ME A NEW COMPUTER if I ship this one to them.
Even though it only effects a minority of players they seem to be determined to figure out what the deal is.

I told them that this computer cost me around $1500 back in Jan, 2003 (Inspiron 5100) but is certainly worth less than that now.
They agreed to forward me the $1500 for my new computer purchase. They obviously understand that it's not exactly worth it for me to just get another Inspiron 5100.

I have since selected one of the groovy Dell 9100's with the 17" screen at 1900x1200 and am obviously excited about it's arrival.
The cost is almost right on $1500 after the coupon (at first it cost more but I went back and tinkered around a bit more).
...although the 40GB hard-drive is now kind of scaring me after reading the other thread about the importance of a better hard-drive so I might contact Dell and adjust the order for a better hard-drive (can someone PLEASE explain to me if it's REALLY important for me to do that....or if it's something I can just purchase later..Thanks!!).

Anyway, I told them which system I was getting.
They said, "Great. We have transferred $1500 to your neteller account. Get us your old computer as soon as you can."
Indeed...the $1500 is already in my neteller account.

They have agreed to let me hang onto this until I get the new one. I'll have lots of passwords and pokertracker and pictures and other crap to e-mail over I guess...but for the most part I'll be sending it to their tech-guy in Korea right-away after I get the new one.

In short - I am simply amazed that they would take this step. They keep thanking me for helping them with this....which I think is kind of funny since THEY are the ones buying ME a new computer.
Obviously I should be thanking them which I am.

I also mentioned to them that if my understanding of online-poker rake-structures and profitability is correct then they will probably make back their $1500 eventually based on my upcoming play there.
I am currently completely unable to play at AP on my computer now....but my experience with their support has been so great that I will certainly not be bashful about giving them more of my play in the future.

This has been a pretty good week.
My spanking new FREE television from Empire for 25k points arrived yesterday (it's VERY nice. I like it a lot).
And today I ordered my spanking new FREE computer from Dell courtesy of the good folks at Absolute.