View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 02:07 AM

Default Re: Is ND really deserving for BCS

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

but seriously, why will people not just wait until the bowl games get played to bitch about ND?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's a matter of money. If ND gets a bid they get ~$14.5M whereas if OSU gets a bid they get some (half I think) and the rest is divided between the conference and the other teams in the conference. Therefore, for folks with vested interested in any team in the conference of Oregon, Ohio State or any other team that is "left out" it is a significant issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

in 2006, tOSU will have a budget of approximately $3.5 Billion dollars. is ~$7.25 million really worth bitching this much over?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about tOSU, but Michigan's athletic budget is fully self supported from donations, bowl income and ticket sales, and takes nothing from the general fund of the school. In that case, $7.25M would be a huge boon to a program (50% of the total payout sounds high, but I'll assume its right for this argument).

That being said, ND is a shoo-in to get a BCS bid. They are a huge national draw and havent been to a BCS game in several years and will travel well. I would guess that tOSU gets the other one since I doubt Oregon has that much national appeal (plus I'm 99% sure that tOSU is a better team than Oregon).