View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: quitting vs firing

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SO are you asking whether you should try to get fired? Who are you, George Costanza?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't have to try hard at this point. I'm more wondering what the differences are in the end between the two. Are companies under any obligations when they fire someone? If you quit do you forfeit any possibilities?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shajen's main point stands - it's always better to quit then be fired with regard to career longevity and your next step (if you want to stay in the field).

However - if the above doesn't really apply - then getting fired may be better. Here's why (this is knowledge culled from a situation involving a friend at Disney, who was a lowly assistant, hated her job, and was deciding on whether to quit or be fired)-

1) Unemployment Benefits - Depending on the state you live in, you will likely get unemployment benefit $ (this is true in CA, where getting terminated gives you benefits, whereas quitting you won't. Although, if you were grossly negligent at your job, and your employer tells that to the unemployment board, then i believe you will not get benefits, so gotta make sure you konw what the employer will say).

2) Severance - I donno she got severance. I doubt you get that if you quit. Look to see if you qualify if fired.

If you have lawyer friends, I'd call them and ask them to walk you through unemployment benefits and what would qualify you.