View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Omaha Newbie Help

First off, that avatar is so disturbing that it's hard for me to read your post. Oy!

The books you've ordered are going to make many of us ask where you are playing so that we can get our share. I don't think they will help your play.

Consider ordering Ray Zee's book, instead.

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't understand the PTO lingo. Maybe someone else can help you out there.

Be very tight before the flop in these fishy games. Play for the nuts only, after the flop. That is the best two-sentence advice I can give you.

Yes, calling down on the river at this stage, you should be winning a portion of the pot almost every time. Obviously there are some hands that dictate you MUST call one bet on the river. That happens when you have a nut hand which is slightly killed on the river, but you suspect may still be good for a portion of the pot, and you only need call one more bet. It happens in low limit O8, and you simply must call it down if you have the odds.

Later, after playing about a billion hands, you will learn when to call down a non-nut hand on the river. It just takes knowing when to do it, according to the way the hand was played from the beginning, who is in the pot with you, and the texture of your hand versus the overall board. This comes with experience and there is no way for me to tell you when to do it, and when to auto-muck.

Luckily you don't need years and years of experience to know this. O8 is unlike HE and Stud in that respect.

Good luck to you, and get Ray Zee's book if you truly want to play seriously, and correctly from the get-go.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]