View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Question about Cano\'s baserunning

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The catcher doesn't care where he sets up... he just throws it down.

[/ QUOTE ] this is one of the dumbest things I have heard in the sports forum in a long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although it may have been stated better, the fact of the matter is that the throw was to the inside of the bag. This supports K-Steel's point. The defense is entitled to the inside in which to make the throw. It is a fundamental rule that the runner shall stay on the outside of the line.

Just because Erstad set up incorrectly does not change the rule. If the throw was to the outside (and thus there would be literal interference, but not interference by rule) the defense assumes the risk ... that is the runner's territory.

The rule is enforced at all levels of the game, it is enforced throught the MLB season. When I watched the play, first thing I though was runner's interference. Whether Cano changed to avoid where he "thought" the throw was heading is irrelevant: He ran on the inside, the throw was on the inside - that is interference.

Whether you agree with the rule is not the issue. In reality, the play would have been fundamental had Erstad set up where he was supposed to.

A professional athelete has little excuse for not doing the "little" things right. Cano should have been running outside of the line.