Thread: standard?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 02:33 AM

Default Re: standard?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TT out of position is a hand that doesn't want to play a big pot unless it hits a set.

The way to do that is to limp preflop, or limp/call a raise and play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your logic is off. You lose value by not raising your 10s preflop - gap theory dictates that people WILL fold to your raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gap theory is best used for tourneys. In tourneys, you raise in order to take blinds and antes, and you are happy if everyone folds.

You raise in a ring game in order to get money in with position and a strong hand, or to make a move at a lot of dead money in a pot. TT is a decent hand but UTG is a crappy spot to play it in, so I'm limping.

[ QUOTE ]
The hand becomes MUCH easier to play if you make a preflop raise and then take a standard line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. I still have an underfull against someone who's playing very oddly.

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop/turn, that's when you play poker. Limping and calling a raise is weak/passive. What do you do then on a favorable flop of undercards? Check/raise OOP? Lead and fold to a big raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you will find about zero percent support on this forum for a limp/reraise of a tight/passive player with TT.

As for what happens when I limp/call and get an undercard flop, I sometimes lead, sometimes check/raise, sometimes check/call, sometimes check/fold. It depends on the opponent.

[ QUOTE ]
Action is much easier, you will win more pots, and most importantly, you will be able to make easier decisions when you are the aggressor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not with TT. That hand leads to a lot of hard decisions, and I just don't want to play a big pot with it out of position if I can help it.

[ QUOTE ]
As played, I really like your line. Such a weird hand - while I was reading it it actually did occur to me that it would be so much easier played if it were limit poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may not agree fully, but point made.

Touche, my friend. Touche.