View Single Post
Old 09-12-2005, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Federal Response to Katrina FASTER than to Andrew, Hugo & Others

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So you believe Bush decided against this drastic option which would enable a faster federal response and result in lives saved because he was afaid of "howls in liberal land"?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not what he said and you know it.

I guess this would be the section regarding sending troops/Guard:
Quelling Civil Disturbances: The Insurrection Act (10 U.S.C. § 331 et seq.)

* State and local governments have primary responsibility for quelling rebellions (32 C.F.R. § 215.4(a).
* The President may use the military (including the Federalized National Guard) to quell (1) civil disturbances in a State (upon the Governor's request), (2) rebellions that make it difficult to enforce Federal law, or (3) any insurrection that impedes a State's ability to protect citizens' constitutional rights and that State is unable to unwilling to protect these rights.
* Before committing U.S. troops, the President must issue a proclamation for rebellious citizens to disperse, cease, and desist.
* Some government attorneys believe that the Insurrection Act is subject to a very liberal interpretation.

I don't think Bush could even use the Insurrection Act, under these circumstances, as it's not clear to me that the tests established for invoking it would be met. But I'm not a lawyer...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, that's a fairer argument, thank you. Don't give me whining about "liberals" like BCP did. You guys just love to pretend liberals=micheal moore, who might very well attack Bush no matter what he did. I'll try not to treat you like Sean Hannity and you try not to treat me like Micheal Moore.

As for your fair argument, intrestingly it seems to contradict what Bill O'Reilly just stated on the factor. He said that he admits Bush was at fault for not using an executive order to mobilize the guard the day the levies failed and NO went underwater. Bill is with me!

So the Governor and mayor are overwhelmed, incompetent, and have lost significant capability for action? Well, beg the governor to call for feds, use an act loosely (insurection), write an executive order, and save some lives. Save lives first, ask questions later! I PROMISE you, I would not be whining in the face of such bold leaderhip.