View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Official Hot Stove League Red Sox Thread

I'm guessing that Manny stays, as he is really tough to trade at this point. Damon, however, I think is gone. Theo knows that four or five high-priced years at 32 is a bad contract, and there won't be the same public pressure to keep him that surrounded the Varitek signing.

I would like to see them bring Mueller back for a year, but I don't know whether he would accept that kind of deal. I just don't have much faith that Youkilis is an everyday third basemen.

They will upgrade at first for sure. There was speculation during the season that they would make a run at Aubrey Huff, who I think is a free agent and would be a a good fit for a moderate price.

I don't think there is any way to tell at this point whether Pedroia will be ready. The best bet seems to be the Sox signing a guy who could either play a subpar 2nd or be a utility infielder. If Damon leaves, this player, either Pedroia or somebody else, might end up batting leadoff so this is a crucial decision.

Papelbon should get a shot in the rotation, but the question is who he replaces. Schilling, Clement, and Wakefield should be locks next year, assuming neither of the old guys retire. I think Wells might retire, which would leave spots for Arroyo and Papelbon. But there will be a lot of pressure to add another more established starter too. I can see Arroyo being dealt.

The closer's role will probably be Foulke's to lose in spring training, but he might do just that. I can't see them not reworking bullpen, keeping Hanson, Timlin, and Myers but looking for two new guys.