View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 12:44 AM

Default Re: 20/40 Hold Em; Chasing for the Right Price?

[ QUOTE ]
Is it a 4 or 5 bet cap?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a 4 bet cap here. I take it you're in Vegas..

[ QUOTE ]
The only potential problem I see is that you might get raised again on the flop, and if its a 5 bet cap the idea of calling that many more bets isn't appealing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was most concerned about. The SB & UTG knew each other, and, if they were "teaming," I was in trouble. I had been at the table less than a 1/2 hour and hadn't drawn a conclusion.
Because of the unknown variable, which dawned on me UTG re-raised on the flop, I had to assume I was going to put in $60 more to see the turn. By that time, there was 3 players putting in $60 and if the BB capped it, the other 3 would certainly call, so that's a total of 4 players * $80 = $320 + my $20 + $640 on the flop, so I'm getting $980/60 or 16:1.
I went strickly on those odds of making my hand on the turn, being up against a set and having my hand hold up 3 out of 4 times. I did not discount my four outs to the gutshot, as I had a backdoor flush draw.

[ QUOTE ]
If your're really curious, look at your absolute odds to determine if you made the right play or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I considered myself jammed up between two players until the BB didn't cap it on the flop. When UTG bet the turn, I had to call one to see what happened. When UTG just called the BB's ck/raise, I knew I was ok.

[ QUOTE ]
If i'm counting it right you ended up winning a pot that had 37.5 BB (discounting all money you invested post flop)in it. After the flop you had to call 3.5 BB so you got 37.5:3.5. If my math is right, your about a 6:1 dog to hit your gutter, and your getting a little better than 10:1, so i'd say even when you look at the whole hand it looks like you needed to see the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

$1620.00 in the pot at the end. I put in $60 on the flop and $80 on the turn. $1480.00 profit. 10.57:1 return. However, I had to make each decision to call/fold on its face value, as I did not know if BB & UTG were just friends or "teammates."
So, on the turn I figured I would have to call $160.00 to to see the river. BB & UTG would have $160 each & if one other player put in $160.00 and the other nothing more than the first $40.00, that's $520.00 to go with the $940.00, or, $1460/160; 9.13:1 pot odds.

[ QUOTE ]
I do think, however, its important to note how not closing the action can drastically affect these kinds of situations. I also think that assuming that all 4 of your outs are live might be a mistake, as there are a lot of hands w/ Tens in them that your opponents may be calling with. Even if you assume that you have 2 shots at 3 outs, however, its still correct to see the river, mostly because of your relative postion on the aggressor and your ability to get a lot of extra bets on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! It gets quite expensive.

[ QUOTE ]
how'd I do?
lf

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]