View Single Post
Old 12-24-2005, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Does a Better Player Play This Differently?

When the pot gets this big, usually if you can think of one hand the villain might play this way on every street that you can beat, you should call. I can instantly think of one, and that is QQ, and JJ is not impossible here. I think you should call the river.

I also want to talk about your turn play. I wouldve raised the turn and heres why. This pot is getting large, there is a chance you mightve outdrawn the UTG player, If you just call there are many hands the SB can have that will be able to call one bet profitably but not two. So I would raise to protect your hand the times it is good here, in case the small blind has a 5 outer type hand or a gutshot draw.

Against the UTG's range this turn raise doesnt make much sense, since the UTG is never folding a better hand, and you will only induce him to fold his two outers which is bad for your hand, and you may get 3 bet by a better hand, but becuz the SB is still in this hand, you must play your hand aggressively in this large pot and not allow the SB to call profitably with his 4-5 outers. If you were HU with the UTG player then just calling the turn makes a lot of sense given the preflop+flop action.

By the way if you did raise the turn and the UTG calls, I would check the river unimproved, which means usually you will be investing 2BB no matter how you play this hand, but I would rather make the whole investment on the turn and protect my hand the times it is good. Since you have many outs to beat a better hand, and the pot is large, you do not have to have the best hand here very often to make raising the turn correct.