View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Re: adjustments for 3/6 and 5/10

Well, I don't know if this actually speaks to the reason why you're doing better... but with the same ante but relatively higher bet sizes, the 5/10 game is going to reward tight, conservative play. If you're playing basically the same game that you were at 2/4 with .25 ante or 1/2 with .10 ante (stars game), you should expect to do well at 5/10 .50 because the structure is similar (it's almost in perfect proportion to the 1/2 .10 game).

To win well in the 3/6 game long term, you have to be willing to mix it up and to fight for the antes. Raises on 4th to make the pot heads up are a lot more important--basically, a lot of the stuff advised in 7csfap applies to the 3/6 because it is a high ante game.

However, I have often wondered if the 3/6 game is hard to beat because people refuse to be pushed out of pots. I had a good win rate there, but I <know> that the major reason why was that my cards were running well. I had a really bad downswing before I stopped playing for the semester, and I would have won a lot of those pots if my 4th street raises had accomplished what they were intended to do. I don't want to be one of the stupid "it's hard to beat bad players" idiots, but in a game with a high ante I wonder if it's high variance with higher expectation or in fact harder to beat.