View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Betting with the second nuts.

First, why are you going for a check-raise heads up on the river? Don't you want to be raised (OK, bad question given the results, but you get my point)? You can't make it three bets if you don't give them a chance to make it two. Bet the river.

As to your question, you should know that QJ is a popular limping hand. In a game in which the betting is capped at four bets, I'm going all the way. I'm guessing this game was unlimited raises at the river. He bet out and raised you twice. You were right in just calling down here, but had you bet out, he would've raised you twice (which definitely would've sounded the alarm), but it would've cost you one fewer bet.

Now, lets say if the board read Q-5-4-X-Q, and I'm holding Q4 to my opponent's Q5, I'm probably going to put in a few more raises. So be it.

But given your read on him, in addition to the board, I would allow similar players two raises before slowing down with the second nuts. Weak passive players wouldn't go crazy here with trips or a straight.