View Single Post
Old 08-01-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: 2005 Microquests Thread -- Post Your Progress, Setbacks

Most of the problems associated with initial losses at a new limit have to do with the idea that we're winning players and should be able to beat it. That confidence seems necessary when we move up, and yet it kicks us hard when we run into some trouble.

I've found it useful to take a different approach. I move up when I know I'm comfortable fully committing myself to it. That means:

a) a set amount I have to lose before I'm allowed to consider moving down -- the cost of learning + a tangible representation of my commitment. "You're not going anywhere, so figure it out."

b) approaching things without expectations re. winrate and such -- it's not about achieving a foregone conclusion or proving my ability, it's about learning how to play the new game. from scratch. every day I don't have to move back down is a good one, regardless of how I do.

I always find that the angst comes from a clash between where I am and where I think I should be. It's a feeling that I deserve better somehow. That I should be more skillful by now. That all my hard work has to count for something. That everyone else seems to be able to do it, so why can't I?

It's all shite. We're exactly where we deserve to be, right this minute. No, that doesn't mean that you suck because you're getting your ass handed to you, or that your godlike winrate is proof of what you've always suspected... just that the tendency we have to wilfully ignore the fluidity of "now" is by far the biggest leak of most studious micro/ss players.

All we can do is try to make each decision a little better than the last one. To get up when we stumble. To bring the best of ourselves to the table as often as possible.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the only important thing is that you can afford to keep playing your chosen limit. Unless things change in this regard, you're perfectly fine. It's ok to suspend or abort your move because you feel like you have more to learn, or are uncomfortable with the swings or dollar figures or new table names for that matter. It's also fine to split your play between limits. Do what you need to do.

The point I'm trying to make is very simple. Success in poker is being able to afford to keep playing. As long as you're still in the game, everything is possible.

Best of luck in your transitions, and happy pokering to all.