View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Fade the Colts the rest of the season?

I'd seen these points too. I'm a Colts fan, so I've followed them for years. The thing that makes this team better than the past couple years is the ability to produce long, clock-killing drives since it allows their defense to get off the field for a rest. Since the defense is predicated on speed, this is essential.

If Dungy pulls the first string offense, the defense will struggle to keep up, get fatigued, and possibly injured.

Most pundits seem to think losing Manning, Harrison, or James would kill the Colts. This may be true; certainly it is with Manning, but Harrison and James' backups get more playing time and would be more ready to go. But an injury to the defensive stars (Freeny, Mathis, Sanders) would be almost as costly. And the only way to avoid overplaying them (with the limited rosters) is to keep playing the first-string O.

I think Dungy knows this, and expect we'll see the first-string offense for at least three quarters against SD and Seattle, and a quarter or a half against Arizona.