View Single Post
Old 07-13-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Limping in EP first in w/ AKo and AQo (et all)

Before I start, let me get out a couple of disclaimers.

1. I'm sure this has been done before, and I searched, but couldn't find a good thread on it. If anybody has a link, i'd be forever in your debt.

2. I'm sure i'm going to get flamed and lose all credibility (if I had any to begin with) for even bringing this up. If so, so be it.

3. This is a serious issue to me and my poker, and one I've thought about a lot. It all started when I read a Rolf Slotboom article years ago that advocated limping (occasionaly) first in in EP w/ the big broadway cards. My understanding is that Rolf does'nt carry a lot of weight here, and thats fine, but to me the article had some merit.

Now, on to the question.

Assume your standard online midlimit game. VPIP of 26ish, PFR of about 8%, aggression factor of 1.5. Full games.

I'll often limp first in in EP w/ Ak, AQ, AJ, and KQ (suited or not, but this is about non-suited) for a variety of reasons. During my time here i've seen that sort of move get trashed, but haven't really seen any strong arguments either way. Here's my take.

Reasons NOT to limp

1. Raising thins the field and gives you a better chance of winning unimproved

2. Raising gives you momentum, which may give you a better chance to win unimproved

3. Raising gives you value. You likely have the best hand at this point

Reasons TO limp

1. Raising encourages hands you have dominated to fold prefop, limping encourages those same hands to raise.

2. Raising gives away information about your hand. If your opponents know that you have standards, a PFR instantly puts 2 broadway cards in their mind. If you sometimes limp w/ these and sometimes don't, your hand remains hidden

3. You stand to get more action after flopping to your hand, and having your hand still be good, if you didn't raise PF.

There are probably other reasons for both that i'm missing, but I think this is a good start.

Please, fire away.

lf