View Single Post
Old 11-27-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Should I give up online poker?

without a doubt something-clever is correct.

(nice honest post though Gabby).

blaming it on the nature of online play is inappropriate.

it is an extremely beatable game...and feeling like you have a 'grasp' of how to play just because you have played for 10 years is not the correct approach to take.

If you are losing, then you aren't playing well.

There was that whole bit about the 2000:1 nature of the inside-straight draw beating you and some other incorrect math ideas that lead me to believe there is much you could learn.

I suck at math....but at least I KNOW that I suck at math...and I take some steps to counter that a bit.
First is just listening to those on the forums who I know are strong players.

There are some terrific players on these forums who are willing to share their ideas with those who listen.

If you choose not to accept their ideas that's up to you.

However, if you just think the online-game is 'not right' and there's no way you can get around this mindset then I just don't see why you would want to play there in the first place.
If you think it's 'rigged' (or whatever) then certainly you shouldn't be playing there. That's common-sense.

It's up to you whether to accept that it's legit and play accordingly...or whether it's not-legit and simply stop playing there.
I don't see how there is much in-between in this matter...but evidently there are lots of players out there who think the cards "aren't right" online but who keep playing there anyway. It's a mentality I will probably never understand.

Also - I don't know what stakes you are playing....but $500 swings don't sound that 'huge' to me.
they are if you are playing .5/1 limit I suppose...but I seem to recall that you played NL-100 and NL-200 some (and on a shortish bankroll sometimes) if I'm not mistaken.