View Single Post
Old 08-17-2005, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Newbie chopping questions

In our local rooms here (WA), chopping is almost universal; it's almost assumed, although the pro forma "Chop?" is always asked.

Exception:

Most of the small rooms around here have a Monte-Carlo type jackpot (not the more typical bad-beat jackpot), where you hit a jackpot if you get quads or straight flush using both cards in your hand (these jackpots are typically 200-300 at most, since obviously quads are hit so much more often than bad-beat conditions).

If either SB or BB has pocket pair or suited connectors, they'll say "I'd like to see the flop". The general agreement is that SB will complete, BB will check, and then both players will simply check through all betting rounds just to see if the cards hit. Either way, both players just take their blinds back afterwards; the player with the better hand doesn't take the other's small bet.

Other than that, chopping is so common that it's considered the norm...the VERY few times I've seen a player who insisted on not chopping, it didn't bother me personally, but the table regulars generally loathe the guy.

Oh...one other exception. If the table gets whittled down, then once it's like 4 or 5 players, there will often be general agreement among the players NOT to chop, since the rake is much reduced at that level, and most pots will be heads-up or at most 3-handed pre-flop anyway.