View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 08:45 PM

Default Re: Why is Randomness so Hard to Prove?

Randomness is subjective, absolute randomness is not possible. However due to our limitations the appearance of true randomness can exist.

By projecting the universe onto a view that we can comprehend, we can demonstrate a form of true randomness that is nevertheless subjective when considering the universe in its totality.

Quantum mechanics is a model we use to analyse certain facets of the universe. Randomness is inherent to this model. There is no suggestion here that the universe is actually random, just that for our limited minds to get some sort of grasp of what is going on we need to incorporate assumptions about randomness.

Quantum mechanics does not disprove determinism; it just suggests that completely accurate predictions of the future are currently beyond us.

[ QUOTE ]
If everything were in perpetual motion, determinism would make more sense to me. But there are clearly things in this universe that STOP. Unlike the billiard break example that someone gave, my car for instance, stops... And then goes again. This would seem to disrupt the notion that all is pre-determined by some antecedent event. At least to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don’t really understand your point, however I suspect your intuitive feel for the subject is misleading you. You’re thinking on too macroscopic a scale.