View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 04:38 AM

Default Stud 8: 3 low with 3 to straight or flush on 5th or a pair

I have my own thoughts on this pesky hand but was wondering what the forum thought on stud 8 hands where you are looking at three to a good low but have caught brick-brick and have a three-straight and/or flush draw on fifth street or pair. Under what situations is a call a good idea? I tend to be tight unless I have something like A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], am late to act and have a very crowded pot that has gotten quite large, or have a situation where I have a pair, good three-low and three-straight and/or three-flush. Perhaps this is too tight?

The situation came up twice tonight while playing $6/$12 at Canterbury Park. Other pesky hand examples (not from the game tonight specifically) include hands such as 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9. Again, the questions I ask myself are 1) how live are my cards, 2) can I scoop this pot if I get lucky and catch; 3) how big is the pot; 4) What are my opponents drawing to, 5) what are my three low cards - A35 is obviously much better than 578.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something, or playing too tight or loose. Obviously I will not chase with just any good three low cards, but when facing in-between situations it's nice to get feedback.

Thanks,
Paul