View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Too advanced thinking for 25NL?

Poker Stars $25 NL full-ring is pretty weak/tight. I have learned the hard way that the average NL$25 player has neither the sophistication nor the balls to make grandstand bluffs against a player who has shown strength on multiple streets. Beleive me, I have been suckered into my share of $25 calls into $2 pots when I was sure he was "making a move" only to be shown the stone cold nuts. So now I play it more weak tight. If all I have is a pair, and I get C/R or raised, I'm giving my opponent credit for two pair or better and I will release my hand most of the time. My experience is that players will often call you down with better hands, but rarely will they raise you with less than two pair.

Another point to consider: If you are using PT look at villain's post flop aggression factor. If his AF is .5 and he's raising here, I am willing to bet you $500 that he's NOT raising with a hand that you beat. He may not have the flush, although unlikely, but he can beat a pair of jacks.

The way I deal with these situations now is that unless I have actually witnessed villain making this kind of bluff, I'm giving him credit for a hand. I'm not even going to waste any time trying to put him on a hand, I just give him credit for something better than top pair. I was involved in a hand with 77 against a pre-flop raiser where I ended up getting my whole stack in on the flop of 455. I had over 200 hands in PT with this guy and a very good read on him, and I knew he not only raised PF with crap, but he will bluff very aggressively. He checked to me on the flop, I bet pot, and C/R'd me all-in. I still felt uncomfortable calling, and knew that even if I was ahead, he problably has two overs and a chance to beat me, but regardless of the outcome, I had a reliable read on this donk, and I made a rational decision based on that very good read. Turned out my hand was good, but again, against an unknown I would never make this call.