View Single Post
Old 10-09-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Watch out for pot odds...

Played in a 2-2-1 NL ring today (live game). The 1 is on the button and the min bring in is 4, max buy in is 100.

3 callers in front of me call pf bring in for 4.
I call with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
3 more callers. BB (BB position, same blind amount as SB) raises to twenty.
All people in front of me call the twenty. I call expecting everyone else to call and they do.
Pot is 160 or so.
Flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Player in front of me is all in for 69. I call. Player behind me goes all in and has me covered for my remaining 101.
I call because I'm damn sure no one has AK based on the raising. I put them both on an ace.
The result doesn't matter because I'm happy with all decisions.

The point is that basing all decisions here on pot odds resulted in me risking my entire stack (slightly deep compared to others) with just a draw.

Be careful what you wish for (I wanted people to call so I'd get in a multiway pot with my suited connector) and realize if you're not careful variance and following proper pot odds will getcha! I could have played the hand differently (less optimally, but limiting risk), but I don't like playing that way. I'll take most edges I can get in a cash game.

If people are interested, I'll post the result.