View Single Post
Old 11-26-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Reasonable shot at protection?

Hi all, sorry I didn't get back sooner but you know how things get at Thanksgiving [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rather than post a bunch of replies, here's a consolidated one...

QTip:

[ QUOTE ]
This has some simularities and some twists and this post I made yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely agree, I had just looked over that post before I played this hand. There are a few notable differences - namely you have position in that hand but I have a bigger pot in this one. I think both are quite interesting.

[ QUOTE ]
Please post the rest of the hand in here at some point, as I'm interested to see how it played out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely will, although there's some very interesting discussion right now so I'll wait a bit longer to post them. I'd be happy to PM them if you're very curious. I'll probably post the rest of the flop action soon and the hand results in a few days.

Thanks for the bump btw [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

NickRoyale:

[ QUOTE ]
Betting with nothing into 5 opponents in a pot that has been 3-betted preflop isn't likely at all. Just because he's on the button doesn't mean he'll bet with crap imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I was wondering this - how often he would bet here with a missed ace in an attempt at a free card. Certainly JJ/TT/QQ are all possibilities as are AA/AK/KK/KQ. I think AA/AK/KK are very likely to 3-bet here. Also interesting to think what range my opponent would put me on here as clearly I'm leading AK/KK/AA (I personally think this is one of the most interesting questions about this hand - what does he think I have?). Final thought is that all of the limpers checked the flop making it less likely that anyone does actually have a king (other than possibly the button). If one of them had bet I'd be more likely to call/fold depending on the action behind them.

MisterKing:

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if you might expand on what your plan is for the turn after C/R the flop. What do you do if a queen hits? An ace? A spade? A brick?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a few factors to take into consideration. First it depends how many call the raise. If it's 6 to the turn there's no way I'm leading out unimproved. If it's shorthanded I'm leading out a lot of turns. Certainly any Q/A/spade. Probably not a brick/2/3.

chesspain:

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else not like the preflop reraise--assuming that one or no limpers are folding?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see reasons for just calling, but I think a lot of these limpers are likely to have mid/low pocket pairs, dominated hands, etc. With a huge hand that plays well multiway like AQs I think this is a pretty good value raise. I'd love to discuss further though.

KathleenStand, QTip, MrDannimal:

Some interesting discussion about whether pocket pairs or hands like A4/A5 are going to fold. I think it's very likely they do (and this cleans up my straight/tp outs). They can't assume they are getting 11:1 or better because the flop better has a chance to reraise. This was one of the things I liked best about raising. Of course if I do get 3-bet I'm likely in big trouble but this makes the turn a likely check/fold unless I pick up a strong draw.