View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 06:22 AM

Default Re: anyone making a living from SSNL?

I make about 5k in a good a month playing small stakes NL. Problem is I can't do 2 good months on the bounce. I'm also very new to poker and don't plan on playing these stakes for any length of time. I'm 36, I graduated collge, I worked in I.T., I made well over a £100k a year. My poker income is unlikely to top that.

When I was working the stress eventually made me ill - I burned out. Health benefits didn't pay out, insurance didn't cover mental health, my employer had no long term sickness benefit (my basic salary went from £10k a month to £200 state benefits). The nice secure normal life with all the trimmings disappeared and I discovered that what I thought was secure was more fragile than bone china in the hand of a toddler.

Playing SSNL poker 30 hours+ a week to make rent money is only stressful when you start to think that the downswings and variance is due to you being a bad player and not just the way it is. Making a living at it is easy if your idea of living doesn't stretch too far beyond paying rent and bills and putting new strings on your guitar.