View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 03:12 AM

Default Re: anyone making a living from SSNL?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just because you cant doesnt mean others can.

I've been playing 8 hours a day 5 days a week for the past 4 months.

Before that I was averaging 90-100 hours a month. I went pro in march.

The hours are easier and easier to put in as the months go on.

If mortals cant play that much poker...maybe me (and quite a few others) are just immortal?

[/ QUOTE ]

well if you actually are doing that, im not sure to congratulate you or what... i cant imagine myself being happy while living a life like that. most of my point was that people take a hourly rate from a month of playing, multiply it by a lot of hours, and decide that is how much they could win in a year. usually this gives them a number that is way off because there is so much variance and it is much harder than it sounds to play 5+ hours a day.

right now i play poker on a very part time basis, 15-20 hours a week tops. i have other stuff to do, and make more than enough to have a ton of money to spend doing that. if youve read any of sklanskys "happiness EV" stuff that basically describes my approach. maybe ive got too much going in other areas to play poker 8 hours a day. probably because i'd kill myself if i did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a job. Plenty of people have a desk job that they go to 40 hours a week. Most of them dont get to talk to their friends/gf on AIM or watch TV while they're at work either. I do. I go to the gym in the mornings and party on the weekends. Its a great life...dont know why you see it as such a miserable one....

*edit*
Plus, at your typical job, the monotony can just drive you insane. The swings of poker can be a pain, but they sure as hell bring excitement to your day. As long as you are able to keep yourself sane when things are going bad, and keep yourself grounded while you're running well...

I dunno, maybe the game is just custom designed for my mindset.

And I am saying this at the end of a near 1000BB downswing at 5/10 shorthanded. This isnt an exaggeration. Its also the reason I moved to NL [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. At the moment I think NL (at least SSNL) would be much easier to play than limit for extended periods of time. We'll see though.