Thread: accident...
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 10:05 AM

Default Re: accident...

[ QUOTE ]
wow dude, no offense intended but you're totally coming across as an [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I? And the people who are judging others as stupid for using a particular phrase are not [censoreds]? And when I cite a reference that quotes one of the most published and respected linguists in the USA, and contains a fairly reasoned explanation of the usage of the phrase in question, the responses are to completely ignore that content? And I'm a [censored]? Fine, I'd rather be a [censored] than not in this context.

[ QUOTE ]
not to mention the fact that it is STUPID to use a phrase like that, taken at face value, as sarcasm... it'll never be accepted as sarcasm.

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet you know what meaning the person using the phrase intends. How does that work, exactly? Could it be that the meaning is taken from both the context and the fact that it is often used in that way? Why is it easier for you to believe that the speaker does not realize that the literal meaning is the opposite of the intended meaning? Anyone not capable of understanding that would have a hard time randomly stringing 3 words together.

[ QUOTE ]
That is a ridiculous excuse for looking like a moron.

you lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, if you say so.