View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Theory of Deception; A poll

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also think that "psychological" deception is less effective than simple betting pattern deception. Your opponents must be paying attention to your specific actions, associate those actions with a particular hand, you must show down the hand, and then duplicate those actions later on in the game when holding a hand of the opposite strength, and the same opponents must be paying attention to how you act during that hand as well, and remember what you did before, and have the same association between your actions and your betting patterns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point! If you are that in tune with your opponent's "soul," you could maximize your +EV through deception, however, I have not reached that level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a level that needs to be reached. The more you play, the less often you will give off psychological tells, as you will realize your more astute opponents will start to pick up on these. I think it is best to play every hand the same way physically (ie look the same whether you plan on betting, checking or raising, and take the same amount of time for every decision, etc.) and let your opponents only be able to pick up your betting patterns. This will minimize the amount of information you give off overall. Deviation from this standard play would be considered deception. Once again, don't do it often. Great example with the McDonald's.