View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Variance

Page 1:

A quote from Bobby Baldwin:

"If you are an excellent player people are going to draw out on you a lot more than you're going to draw out on them because they're simply going to have the worst hand against you a lot more times than you have the worst hand against them".

Great quote. We all *know* this (and most of the stuff in this chapter) but standing back from that and re-thinking it and letting it sink in (again) had great value for me.

Page 15: "Once you have decided what your hourly rate is, you should realize that what you are doing is earning. You are no longer gambling in the traditional sense. You should no longer be anxious to have a good day or upset when you have a bad day. If you play regularly, you should simply feel that it is better to be playing poker making $20 an hour, able to come and go as you please, than to be working an eight-hour shift making $15 an hour. To think of poker as glamorour is very bad. You must think that you are just working as a poker player and that you are not particularly anxious about making a big score."

Amazing amazing quote. Everytime I read this book it pulls me back into this mode. The longer it gets between re-reads, the more I revert back to the emotional swings that come with *need*ing to do well each session.